Domestic (approx.) $7,494.00 (Social Services) or $7,424.00 (Career Practice or Health and Wellbeing) (this includes a student levy of $266 per year for access to student services). Fees may vary, please contact us for more information.
10 months full-time or 18-20 months part-time
7 - 10 years of professional practice experience
Full-time 20 hours of study per week; part-time 10 hours of study per week
With majors in:
- Career Practice
- Social Services
- Health and Wellbeing
Please note: We don't offer this programme majoring in Counselling.
Are you an experienced social services professional?
This degree will endorse and extend your knowledge and skills in your chosen specialty, progressively enhancing and deepening your understanding.
As a graduate, you’ll be ready and able to incorporate your learning into an integrated and intentional model of practice in the workplace.
Please note: The Bachelor of Social Services is not a social work degree. Graduates will not be able to qualify for Social Worker registration.
Your Study Programme
The Capable NZ process centres you and your own career – you’ll reflect on where you’ve come from, where you are now, and where you want to go.
- identify early experiences and influences that have shaped you, and how these relate to your working life
- analyse your work and life experiences and skills, and evaluate your strengths and capabilities
- identify, access and research relevant practice theories, models, tools, frameworks, and reflect on how these might inform and influence your work
- complete in-depth case studies that critically explore and analyse key learning experiences from your work or community life, and align these with academic research
- undertake learning to fill any gaps in your knowledge or experience.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning and is based in your workplace, you technically don't need to provide us with a My Vaccine Pass to study it.
- However, as this programme is based in workplaces covered by a Government mandated health order, you will need a My Vaccine Pass to be able to complete the work-based learning.
- You will also need to provide us with a valid My Vaccine Pass if you want to visit an Otago Polytechnic site for any reason while you are studying with us (e.g. meetings, events, presentations) or attend graduation in person at the end of this programme.
- You do not need to provide a valid My Vaccine Pass if you are attending on campus health services (e.g. student health, Kowhai Centre).
You can find more information about our vaccination requirements here. And, if you still have further questions, please visit our FAQs page which you can find here.
“Working full time while supporting my family, I couldn't take three years out to study. With Capable NZ, I kept working and completed my degree in 12 months using the skills and experience I had.”
Bachelor of Social Services