New Zealand Certificate in Brewing (Level 5)
Want to advance your beer or cider brewing skills?
This online programme builds on your experience in the brewing industry and lets you hone your skills and knowledge.
You'll graduate with the ability to manage brewing processes, ensure production quality, and provide technical support to a brewing operation.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is for people with experience in a commercial or non-commercial brewing facility who want to develop the necessary skills to work independently in the brewing industry. Through our Independent Learning Pathway (ILP), your route to this qualification is directly linked to how much experience you have.
You should already have experience managing the brewing process. This may include:
- Managing all aspects of the brewing process
- Carrying out all routine laboratory practices
- Interpreting issues and solving problems
- Experience using all standard brewery equipment
- Some understanding of New Zealand legislation as it pertains to Brewing, Excise, Food Safety, Health and Safety, and Export compliance.
What's an Independent Learner Pathway?
This innovative pathway lets you gain a qualification through experiential learning. We'll measure your existing experience against this NZQA-recognised qualification, and you'll work with one of our skilled facilitators to identify, demonstrate, articulate and reflect upon the knowledge and skills you've developed through your work and experiences. You'll also gain new skills and understanding by undertaking further learning.
What you'll achieve with this qualification
When you graduate with the New Zealand Certificate in Brewing (Level 5) you will be a self-directed and effective learner, with a model of practice that is reflective and centred on professional standards.
You will demonstrate your understanding of continuous improvement and quality assurance to meet production and quality standards, and be able to contribute to the development of new knowledge to add to your professional skills.
You will demonstrate your ability to apply advanced technical knowledge and operational skills in brewing, and safely manage a range of brewing processes to produce a range of viable products.
You will be able to demonstrate critical-thinking capabilities, and you will employ creative skills and apply them in an organised approach to design and manufacture a brewed product.
You will demonstrate a regard for social responsibility and sustainable practice, as well as an awareness of Te Tiriti o Waitangi in your own business context. Your abilities as an effective communicator will enable you to provide technical and operational support during brewing operations. You'll be able to manage brewing processes, ensure brewery production and quality requirements are met, and provide technical support to a brewing operation.
We are excited to be offering a scholarship for this programme during 2019. This scholarship is for all those eligible to apply for this programme.
Find out more >
- New Zealand Certificate in Brewing (Level 4) OR equivalent skills and knowledge.
- For applicants 20 years of age and over, there are no minimum academic requirements.
- In exceptional circumstances, an applicant under the age of 20 years who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
- Learners who will be aged under 18 during activities that require the tasting of alcohol will not be allowed to participate in this activity without first producing a signed guardian consent form.