Diploma in Viticulture (Level 5)
What is the Diploma in Viticulture (Level 5)
This qualification is founded in the cool climate production of quality wine grapes, and the use of sustainable wine growing and organic wine growing techniques. You will demonstrate sound technical and management skills developed from the wine growing industry. The broad range of skills and learning you have gained from your experience will include:
- Site evaluation - assessing a property for defined horticultural use.
- Weather and climate management - forecasting and assessing the effect of weather and climate on crops.
- Soil and fertility management - understanding soil formation and classification, the impact of soil types on water availability, soil fertility, and the management thereof.
- Vineyard production planning - planning seasonal production and activity schedules.
- Wine appreciation - evaluating wine professionally including common faults and consumer trends.
- Vine canopy management - managing fruit quality through canopy balance, trellising systems, cropping levels and vine training.
Recognising your prior learning
Our world-leading services recognise your prior learning, measuring your existing knowledge and skills against formal qualifications, including certificates, diplomas and degrees. This is the fast track way for very experienced horticulturists (minimum of five years' experience is recommended) to complete a full qualification. Your study pathway will depend on your level of experience.
Independent Learning Pathways (ILP)
The ILP is a process guided by a Facilitator where you will demonstrate you meet the academic requirements of this qualification through a combination of new and prior learning. You will submit a portfolio of evidence that reflects this, and summarise your learning pathway in a presentation to an academic panel.